Hello! Nǐ hǎo! Iwi selami newi!
Welcome to the Intercountry Adoption Journey, an interactive online training experience that will walk you through the specific cultural challenges and needs of children adopted internationally.
Children who grow up in institutional communal care or in foster placements abroad have unique developmental needs once they enter a permanent family home. The Intercountry Adoption Journey will teach you about cognitive and social development, sleep and nutrition, medical needs, communications barriers, and more! The training is divided into 11 topical chapters, each with a quiz to test your understanding. If you plan to adopt from China, we also offer a two-hour extension module to provide the additional resources that China requires.
This 10-hour training fulfills the training requirements of countries that are party to the Hague Adoption Convention and provides an exceptional foundation for all prospective parents pursuing intercountry adoption. The Intercountry Adoption Journey was created by our team at National Council For Adoption, a non-profit organization that has provided education, advocacy, and awareness resources for more than 35 years. NCFA is a trusted voice in the adoption community, and more than half of all intercountry adoption agencies are part of our professional membership network.
We've recruited our nation's experts in adoption and child development to contribute to this training through videos and resource materials. By taking the Intercountry Adoption Journey, you'll learn from their expertise and real-life adoption scenarios to help you prepare for your journey ahead.
Let's get started...
- Learn about the journey. How much does the training cost? How long is my certificate valid? Start by reviewing our frequently asked questions page!
- Register. IAJ registration offers options for single parents and couples interested in the 10-hour training or two-hour China module.
- Log in. Once you've registered, you'll receive an automated email with a link to create your account. Couples need to enroll with separate email addresses!
- Train. Complete the training at your own pace. Once you're done, send a copy of your digital certificate to your agency.
Have you already started your training? Log in here.
What Others Are Saying
“The Intercountry Adoption Journey: Hague Complaint Training from NCFA is a comprehensive and engaging online program that provides training required by the Intercountry Adoption Act and Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption. This certification course for prospective adoptive parents and professional adoption agency staff is an excellent model for user-friendly, interactive education.”
- Richard B. Klarberg, President and CEO, Council on Accreditation